Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 2001 09:16:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brad <brad@auroraquanta.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   phantom reboot in 4.0

Hi,

apologies if this is some really stoopid thing that I am doing, but I
have been trying to figure it out for a while now.

I have a box which appears to randomly reboot with no (really)
corresponding logfile messages.

I am running:
4.0-RELEASE on a dell poweredge 1300 with 256M and a single pIII xeon
500Mhz.

I have 4 drives, which include a 9G scsi, 2 30G IDE and 1 50G IDE drives.

The box does mainly storage of image files and is running:

Apache w/mod_perl and php3
MySQL
NetaTalk AppleTalk support
SSH
FTP
and some other sundry services.

generally, the box just reboots at some odd hour when there is really no
load. Last night it did it at 4 am and then again at 7:40 am EST.

I have tried swapping out the RAM, thinking it might have been bad.

One thing which may or may not be pertinent, is that I have never seen the
machine use any swap. I was wondering if there was a way to test and make
sure that it could. It seems like when I do a top sometimes, the Free is
alarmingly low with a large Inact block, and no swap usage. I don't know
how this would pertain though because it usually takes a day or so for it
to get like that and these reboots can happen within hours of each other.

I am sort of at a loss, and apologize again far all the important stuff I
am probably leaving out.

Brad
 Brad Miele
 Technical Director
 Aurora & Quanta Productions
 bmiele@auroraquanta.com

The end of man is to let the spirit in him permeate his whole being,
his soul, flesh, and affections. He attains his deepest self by
losing his selfish ego. --Robert Musil