Date:      Mon, 11 Aug 1997 21:35:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <perlsta@cs.sunyit.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SCSI support? urgent! plus driver info?

On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> I have a chance to buy a soundcard for my freebsd box for really really
> really cheap, it has an onboard SCSI controller the add says it's a:
> Adaptec AIC6360 chipset
>
> is this curerently supported?
>
> i know the combination of it being ISA and on a soundcard is going to
> make it a cheasy SCSI option but will it work? are there any bugs for
> that controller as of now?

The 152x series (this is what Adaptec calles its AIC-6360 based carsd) is
supported, but from what I've heard the driver is very flakey, and the
card itself is very slow (even for an ISA card).  Your best bet would
probably be a Buslogic adapter or an Adaptec 1542C[F,P].

> btw, how do you guys get programming information for the various drivers
> you guys write? i called IOMEGA about coding a driver for thier 2gig
> Ditto drive and a bunch of drones put me on hold forever then told me
> they don't release specs on thier hardware... i find this hard to belive
> as the ZIP drive is supported by various Unices...

AFAIK, they have a very low end Adaptec AIC (most probably 6360) based
card that they bundle with their SCSI drives.  The information for this is
most probably available from Adaptec themselves.

- alex