Date:      Wed, 11 Mar 2009 13:16:01 -0700
From:      Russell Jackson <raj@csub.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Performance with hundreds of nullfs mounts?

--------------enigBDEB598898B05181F0777497

Ivan Voras wrote:
> hi,
> I seem to remember hearing an anecdote somewhere that using hundreds
> (or thousands?) nullfs mounts for jails results in unreasonably bad
> file system access performance. Does somebody have this kind of setup
> / is it true?

I was doing this with jails --before we moved to VMware ESX (for better o=
r worse)-- and
didn't see any noticeable performance degradation at the time (6.x series=
).

For those interested, the biggest plus for going to the ESX model is that=
 it decoupled low
utilization Windows boxes from over-spec'ed hardware and made it availabl=
e for FreeBSD to
use ;-). The downsides are that it's proprietary, it's expensive, it's in=
efficient (e.g.
duplicated files and kernel instances everywhere), and you need freak'in =
Windows boxes to
manage it.

--=20
Russell A. Jackson <raj@csub.edu>
Network Analyst
California State University, Bakersfield

The first thing I do in the morning
is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue.
		-- Dorothy Parker