Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2002 13:24:20 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@math.ntnu.no>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.0-RC1 install: disklabel editor

> Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 03:25:39 +0100
> From: Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@math.ntnu.no>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> For some reason, I can't find a way to create a swap partition using
> the disklabel editor - other than by using Auto Defaults - and then I
> can't see any way to adjust the size of the resulting swap partition.
>
> This never was a problem with 4.x as far as I can remember...?
>
> (After first discovering this, I figured maybe if I left the
> pre-existing b partition as <none>, the install scripts would be smart
> enough to use it as swap.  No way.  And after the scripts complained,
> and I had been back through the disklabel editor again, installation
> failed with
>
> Error mounting /mnt/dev/ad0s3f on /mnt/usr: No such file or directory
>
> while the other console said
>
> newfs:/mnt/dev/ad0s3f: No such file or directory
>
> After which it went ahead and installed anyway, only to fill up the
> root file system, of course.

I don't see any response, but I don't think that this has changes
since V4. (But I may be mis-remembering.

In any case, in the disklabel screen down-arrow until you get to the
partition you want to use as swap. Note the size and press 'D' to
delete it. Then up-arrow to the entry at the top of the screen for the
slice the swap will be created in. Press 'C', enter the value for the
size of the swap space, press <enter>, and then select Swap. Bingo!
You have swap.

Also, if you want the partition initialized, don't forget to toggle
the newfs tag with 'T'. (And, of course, make sure root is big
enough for 5.0.) Fortunately it is not too hard to steal a bit of swap
to make root larger.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)