Date:      Thu, 01 Nov 2007 12:10:16 -0700
From:      freebsd@dreamchaser.org
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   skip bad block in QIC-150 tar

I'm trying to recover some files from a 5 yr old tar on a QIC-150 tape.

Unfortunately, there's a bad block on the tape;
   tar barfs and quits when it gets to it:
tar: Unrecognized archive format: Inappropriate file type or format

I managed to get a complete directory listing using tar t on my first
attempt, before the tape became unreadable; it had to work at it but
apparently managed to eventually get the block read.

I've cleaned the tape and retried multiple times, to no avail.

I've tried omitting the directory containing the bad block,
but that hasn't prevented it from terminating.

Anyone know a way to get around this?

Thanks,

Gary