Date:      Sat, 08 Feb 2003 01:07:47 -0500
From:      northern snowfall <dbailey27@ameritech.net>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9?= Ramos <andre.ramos@netcabo.pt>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1045114429.eb3eba@mired.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, matrix@altima.net
Subject:   Re: languages

>While C might be a good starting point

UNIX is written primarily in C. Solaris, IRIX, AIX, Linux, etc, and, yes,
even FreeBSD, are all developed in C. My own OS is written in C (*wink*). So
is my favorite OS to hack in: plan9. People thought this trend might
decrease
as the years passed on, yet, they have not. Operating system design trends
tend to be object oriented in design, yet, reside in a C language
primary. With
the movement towards an IA64 platform, I think the trend towards object
oriented conceptualization will persist, while base code will stay in the C
domain. UltraSPARC and other 64bit families may be designed with OOB
in mind, that doesn't seem to be the trend in utilization throughout the
research
community, both public and private.

>and Java
>might teach you object orientation skills one might choose C++ over C or
>even over Java.

Objects are simply an abstract of perception relative to one's
environment. That
abstraction changes with every individual to a degree, yet, stays
founded on a
generic concept of orientation. This foundation can be maintained in any
language.
There is no "pure" OOB language, nor is there a "best" OOB language.
Instead of
talking about portability/usability/etc I will simply summarize Java by
saying:
Sun rules.

>As for ASM, it gives you a good background over how a
>computer works but it's not suitable for every programer.

Every programmer must learn underlying architecture to comprehend the
design and
intent of his application, no matter what level of the OSI (or another
model) the app
resides in. This relation is inherent in every abstraction of computer
design. A great
example is the recent "security flaws" in some Wayne County/Michigan web
sites.
The developers did not understand the underlying architecture of the
internet, or, even
more trite, the design of web site transaction state and HTTP. This
failure to "dig deeper"
caused users to reveal other users' credit card information simply by
substituting names
in the web site's normal functionality. Underlying architecture
comprehension not suitable
for every programmer?
Don

"dead cats... dead rats..."