Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 2009 13:14:44 -0800
From:      Mel Flynn <mel.flynn+fbsd.questions@mailing.thruhere.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: vim question...

On Monday 15 June 2009 12:45:54 Gary Kline wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 07:12:01PM +0300, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> > In vim, with "set compatible" enabled", typing 'u' repeatedly toggles
> > between the last two states of the buffer.  In "compatible" mode I am
> > not sure of how to undo multiple changes.  In "set nocompatible" mode,
> > typing 'u' repeatedly undoes multiple changes, and typing '^R' multiple
> > times redoes them.
>
> 	I've saved this to my vimHelp file.

Really, when using new software it's not a bad thing to get familiar with it.
This is covered in lesson 2.7 from the vim tutorial, accessible by typing
vimtutor in a terminal near you.

Running vim in compatible mode, you might as well run vi as it has roughly the
same quirks. You won't get the "Improved" part, when you don't investigate
what the software is capable of. The vimtutor is excellent for this and you
may still decide that your fingers are too old to get used to the improved
stuff, like I'm incapable of learning emacs.
--
Mel