Date:      Thu, 11 Nov 1999 17:03:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        fullermd@futuresouth.com, rivers@dignus.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, rivers@lakes.dignus.com
Subject:   Re: 3.3 panics after running large programs...

> On Thu, Nov 11, 1999 at 04:56:02PM -0500, a little birdie told me
> that Thomas David Rivers remarked
> >
> >  Then, my machine is locked up hard -  no dump is taken, so the
> > subsequent reboot doesn't save any core.  (I've believe I've got savecore
> > set appropriately in /etc/rc.local:
> > appropriately set in my /etc/rc.local
>                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I presume you mean rc.conf.
>

> >  I guess there are really two "prongs" to this:
> >
> > 	1) Anyone noticed a panic similar to this?
> No, but...

 I didn't believe it would be too frequent - certainly people have
run large programs on 3.3-RELEASE and aha2940s without problems...
I do as well - but there seems to be this one that reliably causes
the panic...

> > 	2) Is there any reason I'm not getting a nice savecore?
> > 	   The machine is simply hanging solid...
>
> As a guess, if it's freaking out in the routines for the SCSI controller,
> it might have trouble dumping to a drive on it; maybe it locks trying to
> do it, or maybe it has enough (or too much ;) 'smarts' to not even try.

 Ah - good point.

 I only enabled dumpdev yesterday - it was hanging like this before
(but that doesn't mean it wasn't trying to dump, and failing...)

 I'm about to try using DDB to see if I can at least keep the keyboard
up...

	- Dave R. -