Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 2003 09:10:27 -0400
From:      Vivek Khera <khera@kcilink.com>
To:        Chris Snyder <chris@psydeshow.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: mailman-2.1.2

CS> Greetings--
CS> I believe the information supplied by the port with regard to the
CS> MAIL_GID value to use when installing Mailman with Postfix is incorrect.
CS> Both 'make options' and the FreeBSD-post-install-notes say that this
CS> value should be 'nobody'.

CS> I found the correct value for my system to be 'maildrop' instead.

CS> I'm using FreeBSD 4.8 STABLE with postfix-2.0.13,1 and mailman-2.1.2
CS> from ports. If you need any other info please don't hesitate to ask.

With postfix, it depends *entirely* on the configuration you use for
delivering mail.  I can't imagine a configuration where maildrop is
the right group...  how do you do local delivery?

Here are the scenarios I know:

global aliases file (owned by root) delivering to mailman: need GID=nobody
private aliases file owned by mailman: need GID=mailman

what's your config?

Personally, I use the private aliases file owned by mailman and have
the GID=mailman.