Date:      Sat, 7 Aug 1999 02:23:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      eagle <eagle@host.phc.igs.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Bill Fumerola <billf@jade.chc-chimes.com>, Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>, Mike Hoskins <mike@snafu.adept.org>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: advocacy site

On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> We're paying attention. :)
>
> For what it's worth, I think it's still worth doing it as a separate
> site and worth doing it in such a way that "accounts" can be given to
> roving reporters and such without having to give them actual Unix
> shell accounts and/or CVS commit access.  Having to put someone who
> only intends on being an occasional (but nonetheless valuable)
> journalist though the commiters voting process is just too damn much
> overhead for supporting a "slashdot" style site (which I believe is
> needed - if it doesn't change at least once every other day, people
> stop coming back).
>
> I also don't see people complaining that they're not able to mirror
> slashdot, so I think the fears about not having a CVS repository to
> put up for remote access are a little unfounded.  If it all goes into
> a mysql database with a bunch of CGI glue then so be it - as long as
> it's visible on a site with reasonable network connectivity, we're
> ahead of the game already.
>
> - Jordan
>
> > On Fri, 6 Aug 1999, Alex Zepeda wrote:
> >
> > > This way one could go "Oh look at Windows, and all the Microsoft created
> > > advocacy" and "Look at FreeBSD, the (non coding) users love it enough to
> > > spread the word".  And it pisses off core just a little less ;O
> >
> > -core would have to pay attention in order to get pissed off.
> >
> > --
> > - bill fumerola - billf@chc-chimes.com - BF1560 - computer horizons corp -
> > - ph:(800) 252-2421 - bfumerol@computerhorizons.com - billf@FreeBSD.org  -

o.k. My ISP keeps screwing with my static IP so, thats why I havent been
able to get mail through to the list.

What is needed to make this happen is a way of generating static html.
dynamically. then the *static* html can be mirrored however. since the
static pages would be generated *very* frequently the mirrors would have
to update frequently.

Rob