Date:      Thu, 28 Jun 2001 12:56:08 -0400
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfg1+@pitt.edu>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Microsoft giving back to FreeBSD !!

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Keep in mind that Microsoft isn't releasing binaries for FreeBSD either -
> they are releasing source that compiles on FreeBSD.  There's nothing
> preventing anyone from modifying that source and compiling it on Linux.

Yeah, it seems like they are being clean and that they didn't
misundertand free software at all. It was also interesting to see that
most of the Slashdot comments were not really negative.

<sorry for snipping so much..this was certainly an interesting email>

> I think it's much more likely to see Microsoft Office ported to FreeBSD.
> Consider they have to do 90% of the work already to port it to MacOS X.

As I wrote on another email: if they are split they will certainly
consider it. My hope would be that Corel understands this before MS
does. I am gladly surprised by Microsoft's approach but that doesn't
mean I like them.

> >I have this feeling that FreeBSD doesn't need more hackers, but rather
> >a real strategist.
>
> :-)  Ah, you know, after all I _did_ write a book on interoperating
> Microsoft Windows and FreeBSD quite well in advance of anyone's predicting
> this
> shotgun wedding.
>
> BSD already _has_ some good strategists.  However, your not necessairly
> going to find them working at BSDi.  Look instead at the userbase.  The
> problem is not _getting_ good strategists, we already have them.  The
> problem
> is getting the BSD _userbase_ to _listen_ to the strategists.  Unlike
> Linux, most BSD users are not interested in being soldiers in the "FreeBSD
> Army" and don't take orders very well, (or at all) nor are they much swayed
> by so-called "personal charisma" of a single leader.

OK probably I meant a (strategist + leader). Linux doesn't have them
either... their leaders are clowns and the lusers like to laugh so
it's some sort of a circus there ;). I gave it a thought overnight,
and it's actually better not to have clowns: we have overlooked
something very important that has ocurred recently: The FreeBSD
Foundation. The Foundation is definitely the instrument to set the
guidelines and manage our resources and interests as a group.
Hmm...perhaps Microsoft will do a generous donation now :).

> I think the answer was that "we can beat Linux if we want to, we know how to
> beat that kind of organization.  But, we cannot fight the wind in the
> fields, and if we attempt to fight BSD we will end up like the US Government
> did in Vietnam, we will spend millions of dollars and thousands of
> productive hours doing it and end up not making any difference"  So, they
> decided if you can't beat them, join them.

Yes, Microsoft has always known about FreeBSD. Gates and friends are
rich enough that they don't care very much what happens; for them this
is just a game where they want to continue being number one. I think
your term "shotgun wedding" is what best describes the situation :).
This will not be exactly a long term marriage though.. but FreeBSD has
much to gain and nothing to lose.

    Pedro.