Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 1995 09:41:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      Rashid Karimov <rashid@rk.ios.com>
To:        tbrown@vcsun2.tamu.edu (Tom Brown)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org, tbrown@vcsun2.tamu.edu
Subject:   Re: freebsd as a router

		Hi there Tom,

> hi,
>
> i'm running 2.0.5 and would like to know what procedure i need
> to do configure my box as a router.  how do i assign the 2nd
> ip address to ed1?
>
> should i first upgrade to 2.1?
>
> thanks,
>
> tom
> --
> Tom Brown			  loc:   Wiesenbaker 232-E

	The first thing to do is _upgrade to the latest 2.1.* -
	2.0.5 was not stable :(
	As for the router config - I've tried FreeBSD with 2
	Ethernet cards ( SMC Etherpowers ) - it worked w/o any problemo.
	Didn't try it with more that 2 Ethercards though - but it should
	work too I think.
	You can assign IP addresses to different ifaces in /etc/sysconfig -
	it's pretty straightforward.
	You also have to determine which routing proto to use - unless
	you'll rely completely on static routing, which is pretty sufficient
	for small/not comples installs.
	You have two choices here - either go with routed or with gated.
	Gated is most powerful one ( runs RIP/OSPF/BGP - all open IP routing
	protos )  but the config is not obvious.
	If mucho depricated RIP is sufficient - run RIP via routed.

	Personally I'd like to hear if some1 here runs FreeBSD box as
	the router with say 3 or more ifaces ? How  fast/reliable is it ?

	In my opinion PCI P-120/133 with 4 say SMC Etherpowers in PCI
	slots should beat the crap out of lower end CISCOs ... say
	2*** series - both in price and perfomance ... dunno about
	reliability though :)

	Rashid.