Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 2004 18:59:56 -0800
From:      Jay O'Brien <jayobrien@att.net>
To:        FreeBSD - questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Help with boot0

I have two identical hard drives on the same IDE controller;
The file systems are identical. I can move the "Master" jumper
from one HD to the other and the computer will boot on the
HD with the jumper. It becomes ad0 and the other HD is ad1.

I have installed boot0cfg on both drives with the -B option.

Booting with either drive gives me a F1 (FreeBSD) option and a
F5 (Disk1) option. F1 boots the drive set up with the hardware
jumper to be the IDE controller master. F5 gives another
selection, F1 (FreeBSD) and F5 (Disk2). F1 boots on the IDE
master, and F5 won't boot.

I would like to be able to boot from either drive using the
bootup selection. I know both drives work fine as the boot
drive when selected by the hardware drive jumper.

What am I missing, why doesn't boot0 work for me?

Jay O'Brien

PS.. I'm using 4.10, and this exercise is so I can build 5.3
on one of the Hard drives and be able to boot to either version.