Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 1995 23:09:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Ted Spradley <tsprad@metronet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   clnttcp_create: RPC: Program not registered

Help!  Somebody throw me a clue!

I've looked everywhere and I still don't have any idea what this message
means.  It comes out on the console four or five times when the system
first boots up, and once every time I log in or su.  Aside from the
error messages, everything else seems to be working OK, until this
evening when I finally got another machine up on FreeBSD on my ethernet,
and discovered rcp won't work:

rcp: clnttcp_create: RPC: Program not registered

telnet, ftp, rsh and rlogin work OK.

This FreeBSD 2.0.5 from the Walnut Creek CD-ROM.  The messages started
after I built and installed my own kernel and changed some /etc files at
the same time, but I've been through all the /etc files, and I've
reconfigured the kernel a couple of times since then with no change to
the message.

It's a generic 486DX33 with Adaptec 1542C (was B) and 3COM 3C503.

Any suggestions where I should look?

--
Ted Spradley   tsprad@metronet.com      Usual disclaimers apply.
Information tends to drive out knowledge.  [...] many people cannot