Date:      Sun, 28 Sep 2003 23:20:43 -0400
From:      Adam McLaurin <adam.mclaurin@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upgrading 4.0 to stable

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 21:57:04 -0500 (CDT)
"F. Even" <freebsdlists@elitists.org> wrote:

> I would like to upgrade a 4.0 machine to STABLE, or at least to the
> RELENG security level.  How difficult will this be?  Is there anything
>
> special that I need to be concerned about, so I don't get bit?  This
> is kind of an important box....and I don't want it to take a nose-dive
>
> after I reboot it remotely.

The most common advice is to upgrade incrementally. Upgrading directly
from 4.0 to 4.8 is likely to encounter problems.

I personally would recommend 4.0 to 4.3, then 4.3 to 4.6.2, then 4.6.2
to 4.8. Check the handbook for the appropriate CVS tags.

In any case, it is *very* important that you read /usr/src/UPDATING each
time you update your source. This will inform you of any special steps
you need to take before upgrading to that respective version.

If you're especially paranoid and have plenty of time, you could even do
the upgraded in more increments than I recommended. Just be sure to read
the UPDATING file each time.

Hope that helps,
Adam