Date:      Thu, 9 Oct 1997 11:09:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        chad@dcfinc.com
Cc:        tarkhil@mgt.msk.ru, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Version of FreeBSD for production server?

On Thu, 9 Oct 1997, Chad R. Larson wrote:

> > I'll need very soon to set up production server (NFS/Appletalk file server
> > will be it's main purpose). What version would you recommend me for maximum
> > stability?
>
> For maximum stablility, I'd recommend 2.1.7-RELEASE, or 2.1-STABLE.
> We've got machines that have never crashed or hung up.  Uptime is
> controlled by operational needs for reboots.

  Except that netatalk hasn't been integrated 2.1.  Deploying new 2.1
servers is like trapping yourself into a dead end.  The 2.1 branch is not
maintained very much, so you will have to patch yourself.  What this means
is that I'm not hurry to upgrade 2.1 systems, but anything new is 2.2

> This one, for example:
>
> +---------------
> | chad> uname -a
> | FreeBSD freebie.dcfinc.com 2.1-STABLE FreeBSD 2.1-STABLE #0:
> | Wed May 21 21:44:12 MST 1997
> | chad@freefall.anasazi.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/FREEBIE i386
> |
> | chad> uptime
> | 10:11AM  up 133 days, 20:51, 1 user, load averages: 0.12, 0.07, 0.02
> +---------------

  From a 2.2-stable system (P5-166):

11:01AM  up 124 days, 20:41, 8 users, load averages: 0.08, 0.04, 0.00

  This system operates as shell server for a bunch of users, some who run
IRC bots and what not, so it gets abused pretty good.  I need 2.2 on this
system, because of the login.conf stuff, so I can impose CPU limits.

> > Alex.
>
> 	-crl
> --
> Chad R. Larson (CRL22)              Brother, can you paradigm?
> 602-953-1392  chad@dcfinc.com  chad@anasazi.com  crl22@aol.com
> DCF, Inc. - 14523 North 49th Place, Scottsdale, Arizona  85254

Tom