Date:      Fri, 13 Dec 2002 09:49:57 -0800
From:      Doug Silver <dsilver@urchin.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Weird NIS master problem

(Originally sent to -questions, but no one replied so I'm reposting it he=
re)

I have two FBSD NIS machines, the master is running 4.6 and the slave is =
at
4.7.  The slave works properly, it's the master that is acting strangely.

The master is also serving as a router with 2 nic cards, and is running n=
tpd.
It processes NIS stuff, just *really* slowly.  It is not doing firewall s=
tuff
(yet).

For example, running 'truss id dsilver' it stalls right after running
'gettimeofday' but eventually answers back properly.  The same behavior
happens on any other client if I bind it to the master instead of the sla=
ve,
i.e. you can login, it just takes a long time.

I've confirmed that both machines are running ypserv, ypbind, rpc.statd, =
and
the server is also running rpc.ypxfrd.  Does anyone know about this stran=
ge=20
black magic known as NIS? :)

Any suggestions?

Thanks.