Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 01:50:59 -0400
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Vincent Poy <vince@mail.MCESTATE.COM>
Cc:        John Dowdal <jdowdal@destiny.erols.com>, security@FreeBSD.ORG, JbHunt <johnnyu@accessus.net>, "[Mario1-]" <mario1@PrimeNet.Com>
Subject:   Re: security hole in FreeBSD

Vincent Poy wrote in message ID
<Pine.BSF.3.95.970728224331.3844x-100000@mail.MCESTATE.COM>:
> 	I wasn't talking about erols but with some isp's for things such
> as relaying spam mail.

You can take legal action against people who's machines were exploited
to relay spam mail? Wow!

I think perhaps you have to understand that if they were used as a
relay for spam mail, they are going to get *FLOODED* with mail (I know
from experience). Theres not a thing you can do (well, I stayed up all
night once and fitted anti-relay rules to sendmail, but in the past
they weren't available). Most people will just delete or refile the
complaints, since they can't really do anything about the user
originated them. Complaining to relays rarely does any good. Either
they can't be bothered to fix it, or don't know how. Thats when cisco
access list rules to block their mail hosts come in handy.

Gary