Date:      Fri, 24 Aug 2001 16:00:42 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "Michael A. Smith" <msmith@code-fu.com>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install troubles right at the beginning

Michael A. Smith writes:
 > I've done lots of FreeBSD/i386 installs and several Linux/alpha installs,
 > but this is my first FreeBSD/alpha install. I've got a PWS433a that has run
 > RedHat6.2, SuSE6.3 and SuSE7.0 (768MB RAM, SRM-bootable Tekram SCSI card).

There have historically been some problems installing on machines that
used to run linux.  I've never heard of of waht you're seeing before,
but it might be related.

I suspect there may be some problem with the disklabel on the drive
you're attempting to install onto.  Hmm.. Are these disks with msdos
style fdisk partition tables?  Did linux boot from arc(or milo) or the
SRM when it was booting from this disk?

Try blowing away the partition table on the disk you're going to
install FreeBSD on by dd'ing /dev/zero over the first meg or so of it
before you attempt to install.

If you're still having problems, can you look on the other vty
(alt-Fx, I think its F2) and see if any newfs failed? & report back
exactly what you see?

Cheers,

Drew