Date:      Mon, 17 Jan 2000 18:31:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        ejh@eas.slu.edu (Eric J. Haug)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB D-Link DSB-650 kue0: failed to load code

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Eric J. Haug
had to walk into mine and say:

> >  - Find the kue_do_request() function.
> >  - Change the timeout from 500000 to 1000000, i.e. change this:
> >
> >          usbd_setup_default_xfer(xfer, dev, 0, 1000000, req,
> >              data, UGETW(req->wLength), USBD_SHORT_XFER_OK, 0);
>
> After this change
> Again, the boot message rushes by.
> But later, say about 8 seconds or so
> about the time the system is printing out ppc0 messages
> i get
> panic: removing other than first element.

*sigh*

Whatever. Fortunately, it turns out I had an OHCI controller here
and I was able to duplicate this problem. (It doesn't happen with
my laptop and UHCI controller, otherwise I could have spotted it
before.) I just updated the driver in -current to fix this. The
driver tries to check if the firmware is already running by reading
the MAC address. It turns out that doing this when the firmware is
not running generates a 0 length transfer. This doesn't seem to do
any harm with a UHCI controller, but it makes the OHCI controller
(or its driver) mad. I changed the code to test for the presence
of already running firmware in a different way, and now it seems
to work with my test system.

Make sure to get src/sys/dev/usb/if_kue.c revision 1.16. This version
should fix the problem.

I also noticed that performance with the OHCI controller is significantly
better than with the UHCI controller. Just my rotten luck I'm stuck
with a UHCI one in my laptop.

-Bill