Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2001 00:44:05 -0200
From:      "Conrado Vardanega" <cvspam@ig.com.br>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD with VIA's vt82c686b South Bridge

I own a Asus A7V133 motherboard with vt82c686b South Bridge.

FreeBSD has some problems booting on this motherboard, frequently freezing
during the boot up. Sometimes it boots with some error messages regarding
the ATA system. No errors occurs when the onboard ATA is disabled.
Therefore, and I'm sure, it's a problem related to the chipset's ATA. The
Promise controller has nothing to do with this and works very well.

I'm planning to buy a ASUS A7VL-VM for a low-cost server. I'm just worried
how would FreeBSD behave with this chipset.

My concern is: how many of you are running FreeBSD fine with Asus A7V133,
A7VL-VM or similar motherboards with VT82C686B?

Thank you.
Conrado