Date:      Mon, 05 Jun 1995 14:52:44 -0700
From:      Gary Palmer <gpalmer@westhill.cdrom.com>
To:        Mark Diekhans <markd@grizzly.com>
Cc:        grashiya@chaph.usc.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: smalltalk-1.1.1

In message <199506052052.NAA13594@Grizzly.COM>, Mark Diekhans writes:
>I couldn't get it to work.  It core dumps with a corrupt pointer in the heap.
>I haven't figure out the source of the problem (do data breakpoints on heap
>memory addresses actually work in GDB?).

>Does anyone have a fix?

Speaking as the smalltalk maintainer, I know how you felt. I spent
AGES trying to debug that exact same problem (was it during the
initialisation phase?). Then I did a make clean, recompiled, and
everything WORKED. I was ASTOUNDED, OVERJOYED, and RELIVED!

I think there must be something that changed between 2.0 and the
-current sources of a couple of months ago (when I finally got
smalltalk to work) which knocks smalltalk off kilter, and I'm damned
if I know what.

And just to ensure I wasn't seeing things, I verifyed my results on
thud - I'd tried thud previously with my code and it failed, and after
I got my machine working by not doing anything to the smalltalk code,
thud also worked. It was most mysterious.

If anyone can point me in the direction of the culprit, I'll send them
a bag of cookies!

Gary