Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2000 16:07:13 +0100
From:      J McKitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   M$ anti-trust case

At the risk of rehashing old material, i got into a debate with my dad over
this case.  He's asking me how it has hurt him to buy software that does
what he wants for as cheap as he has gotten it.  He claims that if there
were anything out there better, it could become popular on the merits of
being better.  He also claims that if he found something that worked better
than M$ office, he would buy it.  I say he would never see such a product,
because there is no developer who wants to try to compete with a free
product, or one that comes with the computer tightly bound to the OS.  He
also claims that since AOL and other ISP's often give a free copy of
netscape to complement the free copy of IE, the consumer gets more for their
money, and netscape is still alive anyway.

Any thoughts?

jm