Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 1997 18:59:25 -0700 (MST)
From:      Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        dgy@rtd.com, freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Opus diskettes

In the words of the world-renowned author, Terry Lambert:
> >      I'm trying to chase down some man page problems in one of
> > the ports and was going to look through the man pages for another
> > OS I have in a box here.  It's a SysV3.2 derivative from Opus
> > Systems (runs on a 32032 coprocessor card).  The files appear
> > to be gzipped tarballs with some bogus front-end glued onto
> > them.  They are all called OPFIL (on 5" floppies).
> >      Was this a SysV-ism?  Any clues as to how I can
> > descramble them (short of reinstalling the coprocessor card, etc.)?
>
> dd if=/dev/floppy skip=4k conv=swab of=file_without_VTOC

Hmmm... perhaps you meant ^^ "8" since skip expects # of blocks
as an argument?

In either case, this doesn't cut the mustard  :-(  I looked through
a few other OPFIL's and they *don't* appear to be compressed.  For
example, one contained /etc/.profile which was entirely readable.

Perhaps just a tape archive with some bogus crap on the front
end?  file(1) sees them as "data"  (BFD!)

> You may not need the "conv=swab", depending on the box you are
> running on.

Thx!
--don