Date:      Sun, 1 Feb 2015 16:04:31 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   HEADS UP: powerpc64 kernel format change [booted a PowerMac G5 quad-core]

Nathan W. suggested "If you unload and reload the *same* kernel, does it =
also help?".

I can not do that test for 10.1-STABLE or 11.0-CURRENT as the initial =
kernel because either of the following lines in /boot/loader.conf fails =
to get to the "any other key for a command prompt" stage: I get no valid =
opportunity to try unload then boot if I start with these kernels.

kernel=3D"kernel10.1S"
kernel=3D"kernel11C"

In other words: after the error one is back in the context for =
"mac-boot" and "shut-down" and the like (Apple's context, not =
FreeBSD's). For example "boot ud:2,\ppc\bootinfo.txt" at that point for =
booting from a memory stick does not work, giving some message about =
being unable to do the memory allocation it needs or some such. (I do =
not remember the details.)

The only one of the 3 buildworld build kernel installkernel installworld =
sequences that lets me reboot far enough to get to the "any other key =
for a command prompt" is:

kernel=3D"kernel10.1RE"

and from there the unload then boot sequence works for booting all 3.

(Later power-off/power-on's get the same boot-attempt initial results as =
the initial "shutdown -r now" for all 3 kernels. The initial reboot is =
not unique.)

kernel10.1RE also has no trouble booting if I do not stop it.

I'll note that all 3 kernels do output the line that shows text=3D data=3D=
 syms=3D[...]. The crashing ones crash between that line and the =
following "any other key for a command prompt" line.

I had described how I boot the problematical kernels:

> And I use /boot/loader.conf to control which kernel is initially =
started, such as:

> $ more /boot/loader.conf
> kernel=3D"kernel10.1RE"
> verbose_loading=3D"YES"
> kern.vty=3Dvt
>
> The kernel10.RE one boots and runs fine with any of the 3 vintages of =
loader. Listing kernel10.1S or kernel11C in loader.conf instead gets the =
SRR0/SRR1 failures referenced above, even when loader (and world) is =
from the matching buildworld.

> So I boot as above (kernel10.1RE) but use the "any other key for a =
command prompt" to stop it and then (for example):

> unload
> boot kernel11C
>
> and that boots and runs fine if I've done the 11-CURRENT installworld =
before the reboot.

I had also described the errors reported for kernel10.1S and kernel11C:

> Like for 10.1-STABLE, for 11-CURRENT (-R277990) the sequence =
buildworld, buildkernel, installkernel, installworld, reboot failed to =
boot before getting to the "any other key for a command prompt" stage, =
although the SRR0 figure was different.

> %SRR0: 00000000.01c287ac (10.1-STABLE reports 1c277fc)
> %SRR1: 10000000.00003030

Usually that is indicated as a Invalid memory access but sometimes as a =
Decrementer exception.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net