Date:      Tue, 1 Apr 2008 00:01:35 +0100
From:      Frank Shute <frank@shute.org.uk>
To:        Sisantha Godawela-Ohle <ekerberos@web.de>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Permissions problem

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 04:22:51AM +0200, Sisantha Godawela-Ohle wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> iŽm following this freeBSD chat for a long time and i also wish to
> submit a question regarding a FreeBSD Version 7.0, which i installed
> yesterday.  After logging in as root, i started with startx and
> Gnome and KDE3.
> From there i wanted to configure Network, DNS etc., but it(System
> popup)  says, that i donŽt have rights to configure as there is no
> permisions for that;-( , although directly logged as ROOT!
> But this problem does not arises with the FreeBSD 6.2, which iŽm
> running for a more than a year!!.
>
> What should do i do?
>
> I appreciate for an positive solution.
>

> Best Regards,

Sisantha,

You wrote to the wrong list. chat@ is just for general chat about
FreeBSD. Specific questions about using FreeBSD should be addressed to
questions@, hence I've cc'd this reply there.

Another couple of points; if you're using the digest, snip the
previous stuff, we've seen it already. Also set an appropriate subject
field for your question.

As for your question, I think you are trying to configure your system
from KDE or Gnome and there's probably some sort of permissions
problem that I'm not familiar with since I don't use either. Or are
you running X as root? If so, don't, run it as an ordinary user and su
to root after you've started X.

Try configuring your network etc. as root from the console following
the instructions in the handbook. If that doesn't work then your
security level is probably set to something inappropriate and you'll
need to change it. Look at the manpage security(7).

--

 Frank