Date:      Sat, 02 Jan 1999 20:23:42 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Accessing NTFS partitions

Sue Blake wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 02, 1999 at 03:19:57PM +0100, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:
> > On 02-Jan-99 Mark Ovens wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, but both he and I never found any documentation regarding
> > writing to NTFS drives since MS is reluctant to hand out specs.

I'm sure I've seen a book (by Microsoft Press IIRC) that is all about
the NT filesystem. I'll see if I can track it down.

> Unfortunate, but hugely better than nothing. Besides, we want people to
> get their data off NT, not put more on :-)

Good point :-)

> > > If you think you need NTFS access I hope the above is of use to you. I
> > > will try and put together a step-by-step FAQ/HowTo over the next few
> > > days.
> >
> > The driver is however set up in a way that allows easy integration into the
> > sourcetree... And from what I used of it, it was rock stable...
>
> So what's stopping it from being pulled in to save all this hassle?
> It'd be another incentive for people who are considering moving from NT
> to some kind of unix to try FreeBSD.

Another good point. I think there is a lot of active development going
on though as the versions have moved form 0.6 to 0.9 in pretty rapid
succession ( the only reason that it's taken me this long to get round
to trying it is that all previous versions I d/l'd gunzip complained
were corrupt).

> --
>
> Regards,
>         -*Sue*-

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Mark Ovens, CNC Applications Engineer, Radan Computational Ltd
Sheet Metal CAD/CAM Solutions
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com    http://www.radan.com