Date:      Sat, 28 Apr 2001 06:52:49 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Mark Drayton" <mark.drayton@4thwave.co.uk>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: [going OT] Re: Any mail server software that could run on FreeBSD?

Ah, getting this question back to the _original_ one that you brought up,
you obviously missed the point here.

As you seem to be implying here, saying that Sendmail is recommended because
it's the default is stupid.  I agree that this is as STUPID as picking any
other thing and using that to say that Qmail is recommended, short of an
actual recommendation written up in the FreeBSD docs.  (which if there is
one
please let us know where it is)

The point is that there's NO official recommendation as to what mailer to
use,
your statement that qmail is recommended is incorrect.

>> Qmail is usually advised for those people that don't like reading
>> the manual and prefer to just install software and go, without
>> knowing anything about what they are installing.  This is because
>> qmail is _simpler_.  Obviously, when you make something
>> _less flexible_ you make it _simpler_ thus easier for the
>> unwashed masses to digest.
>
>Is it necessary to understand every intricate detail of an MTA to set
>one up properly? I'm more useful to my employer if I can get the
>software going first and learn everything there is to know later.

This is like saying you'd be a better doctor if you just did the
operation first and learned about how the body worked later.

Now, I don't disagree that it's possible to run a small network with
few nodes and a very easy-going userbase that's tolerant of downtime
with this attitude.  But, your not going to see this attitude in any
kind of large network that isn't in fire-drill mode 24 hours a day.
(and if you think that 24 hour-a-day fire-drill mode is something
to strive for in networking, then I really feel sorry for you)  Your
also not going to see this attitude in any kind of network in which
the business loses real money when the network is down.  (as opposed
to most office networks where a network outage is merely a minor
inconvenience to the cubicle drones)

In short, this phrase stamps AMATEUR across your forehead.  Seriously,
professionals really do take the time to understand the details of
the tools that they are using.

>> There's a reason, after all, that qmail is the default for
>> Linux.
>
>Sorry? Default for what distribution? None of the most popular
>distributions use Qmail as their default MTA. RedHat, SuSE and Slackware
>all use sendmail and Debian uses Exim. That was a cheap shot, Ted.

Your correct, I was out of line there.  I had forgotten that it wasn't
the mailer but the local delivery agent that Linux had changed.  (Procmail)

However, my advice still applies: if your idea of good software is that
which
you can install without knowing what your doing or how it works, then qmail
is probably going to be easier for you to deal with.  You seem to be saying
that
this is a _desirable_ way to do things, so your probably going to view my
advice as a recommendation.