Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 22:33:54 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
To:        CONDOR <condor@inreach.com>
Cc:        "'John Fieber'" <jfieber@indiana.edu>, Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, "nr1@ihug.co.nz" <nr1@ihug.co.nz>, "freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: secure backup

On Mon, 17 May 1999, CONDOR wrote:

:On Mon, 17 May 1999, Wes Peters wrote:
:> > Can anyone recommend how I should go about creating a backup to an untrusted
:> > machine that has the tape drive, and using an untrusted network.
:[CONDOR]  Buy a tape drive.. they are cheaper now than before.  ;-)

Yeah, but if you are trusting someone to the tape handling for you, you need
to put encrypted data onto the tape.  There are any number of reasons you
might have someone you don't trust handling you tapes.  Say you have a
machine in a remote data center, because 'Net connectivity is much cheaper.
I would trust a reputable provider to do backups as I dictated, but I
wouldn't trust them not to take a look at my tapes.

David Scheidt