Date:      20 Jul 1999 12:10:20 +0200
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>
To:        "Kelly Yancey" <kbyanc@alcnet.com>
Cc:        "Dag-Erling Smorgrav" <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Overcommit and calloc()

"Kelly Yancey" <kbyanc@alcnet.com> writes:
>   I don't know how many programs make use of calloc() but would not a more
> efficient algorithm be to better integrate it with malloc() such that if
> there is a fragment on the heap which can be used, bzero() it and return
> that, otherwise, simply call sbrk() and return that (since it is already
> zero'ed). Currently, in the event that malloc() simply returns newly
> sbrk()'ed memory, we unnecessarily zero it again.

I don't see the point. I've seen very few examples of justified
calloc() use. For instance, I see a lot of people use calloc() instead
of malloc() when allocating strings, just to make sure they'll be
terminated after a strncpy(), instead of simply setting the last
character to '\0' after the strncpy().

When I allocate memory, I usually intend to put something in it.
There's always the odd struct sockaddr_in which I bzero() before
filling it in, but they're usually on the stack.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@flood.ping.uio.no