Date:      Sat, 29 Aug 2020 21:49:23 -0400
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        "Adam Weinberger" <adamw@adamw.org>, "Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@freebsd.org>, =?UTF-8?Q?Stefan_E=C3=9Fer?= <se@freebsd.org>, "Niclas Zeising" <zeising@freebsd.org>, "Michael Gmelin" <grembo@freebsd.org>, "FreeBSD Developers" <developers@freebsd.org>, "Tobias C. Berner" <tcberner@freebsd.org>, ports@freebsd.org, "portmgr@freebsd.org" <portmgr@freebsd.org>
Subject:   =?UTF-8?Q?Re:_Aggressive_ports_removal_(was:_svn_commit:_r546907_-_head/?= =?UTF-8?Q?x11-clocks/wmtime)?=

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020, at 8:50 PM, Adam Weinberger wrote:
> Just a disclaimer: I=E2=80=99m speaking for myself here, not on behalf=
 of portmgr@. Also please keep in mind that I am perpetually, pathologic=
ally optimistic.
>=20
>> On Aug 29, 2020, at 18:01, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wrote:
>>=20
>>=20
>> Basically, it draws the community back in, even if it's just small wa=
ys, rather than having them be a pure consumer giving nothing back. Make=
 it easy to adopt a port, and we'll grow our base of labor. Make it easy=
 to remove ports that no one can be bothered to adopt and we shrink our =
workload. And we'll spend our time on the things that we know net us at =
least one user who will pledge to keep it going.
>=20
> This is a serious issue that we=E2=80=99ve been dealing with for a lon=
g time. I=E2=80=99ve advocated very strongly for a script that automatic=
ally notifies the maintainer (+/- ports@?) when a port is marked BROKEN =
and/or DEPRECATED. Community notification is always a good thing, and it=
 opens the door for objections and discussion. Nobody has written such a=
 script, but I would be thrilled to help deploy such a script if someone=
 writes it.

In the meantime, FreshPorts has a 'Watch ports I maintain' report under =
'Watch ports I maintain'

re https://github.com/FreshPorts/freshports/issues/138

--
  Dan Langille