Date:      Sun, 29 Aug 2004 17:40:37 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Subject:   Re: xbatt or other indicators for the Thinkpad 600E?

On Sun, Aug 29, 2004 at 04:11:55PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:03:19 -0700
> > From: Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>

> > 	I have apm_enable=YES; will set the daemon=yes and reboot.
> > 	Does this create /dev/apm?  I'm not clear on how the new
> > 	/dev work on V5.
>
> In V5, /dev is no longer simply a directory on a normal FFS file system
> containing some rather odd entries that describe device access. This has
> been replaced by devfs, a special file system for devices which is
> mounted on the normal file system, usually at root (/).
>
> Instead of creating static entries with mknod, devfs creates entries
> "on the fly" from call made by the device driver. Devices are not
> created until the driver actually probes and finds the device and are
> destroyed when the device is removed (for removable devices). This was
> needed to support USB, Firewire and similar devices which are dynamically
> added and removed from the system.

	Did the old, static entries drain too many resources?
	Or was it simply harder to implement USB and other devs
	statically?  (Eventually I'll read the code!)

> I might also mention that you need to use /etc/devfs.conf to customize
> thing like device protections and symlinks (such as /dev/dvd). devfs is
> primarily for setting up devices for jails, but it is also the best way
> to handle simpler customizations. I will attach my /etc/devfs.conf file
> as a rather trivial example.
>
> Note that you need the lines:
> apm_enable="YES"
> apmd_enable="YES"
> in /etc/rc.conf. The quotation marks are required!

	The "YES"s are quoted.   Looking at /etc/devfs.conf
	brings to mind a question about why "say" (audio/rsynth)
	isn't working with the speakers.  Do I need to add
	some lines to devfs.conf?

> Also, is APM being probed at boot time? You should see something like:
> apm0: <APM BIOS> on motherboard
> apm0: found APM BIOS v1.2, connected at v1.2
> very early in the boot. I don't build APM into the kernel but add:
> apm_load="YES"
> to /boot/loader.conf, but it should be fine in the kernel.

	The only 'BIOS'-related probe I see involves the PCI->PCI
	bridge.  When the system boots I get complaints about a
	missing /dev/apm; and an expected string about apmd.

> Make sure that ACPI is disabled and apm enabled in /boot/device.hints.
> hint.apm.0.disabled="0"
> hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"
> hint.apm.0.flags="0x20"
>
> If ACPI starts up, APM won't. These hints entries take care of both
> issues.

	Ah, the acpi.0.disabled was set to false.  This was
	probably the culprit.  I just set it to "1".

	[ ... ]

> # These are examples of how to configure devices using /etc/rc.d/devfs.
> # The first parameter is always the action to take, the second is always the
> # existing device created by devfs, and the last is what you want to change.
> # The name of the action is only significant to the first unique character.
> #
> # Examples:
>
> # Historically X depended on this, but version 4.3.0 doesn't seem to anymore
> #link	ttyv0	vga
>
> # Commonly used by many ports
> link	cd0	cdrom
> link	cd0	dvd
> link    ttyd0	pilot
> perm	cd0	0666
> perm	acd0	0666
> perm	pass0	0666
> perm	ttyd0	0666
>
> # Allow a user in the wheel group to query the smb0 device
> perm	smb0	0660
>
> # Allow members of group operator to cat things to the speaker
> own	speaker	root:operator
> perm	speaker	0666

	This is getting interestinger and interestinger.  Why
	do you have the last two lines uncommented?

	thanks much,

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline@thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix