Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 19:14:32 +0200
From:      "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steveo@eircom.net>
To:        "A. L. Meyers" <a.l.meyers@consult-meyers.com>
Cc:        slumos@nevada.edu, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: is "stable" "stable"?

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 09:52:49 +0200 (CEST)
"A. L. Meyers" <a.l.meyers@consult-meyers.com> wrote:

AM> A comparison:
AM> Debian GNU/Linux has 3 trees: 1. stable 2. testing 3. unstable

	RELENG_4_3, RELENG_4, 'Top of Tree'  (in CVS terms)

	security, stable, current            (in release name terms)

AM> The FreeBSD "stable" appears more comparable a mix of "stable"
AM> and "testing". Debian GNU/Linux only release a major "stable"
AM> update once yearly, a shorter interval being considered bug
AM> churning.

	Hmm FreeBSD runs a *RELEASE* three times a year, what would be
the point of a branch that moves *slower* than releases ?

AM> ensure that "stable" means what it says. Do you seriously expect
AM> all users to go thru the testing procedures enumerated below?

	I expect it in commercial environments (Solaris installs get treated
this way where I work for example). I don't treat my home systems this way and
I accept the risk.

AM> Most probably expect such things to be done by developers before
AM> new and/or improved code is incorporated into "stable".

	This an unreasonable expectation, commercial vendors cannot achieve
this (note they *never* give access to any development stream, employ testers
and still ship bugs) why should open source projects be able to do so much
better. (actually they do the -stable tree is at least as good as the 'track
the patches' game on any commercial OS).

--
    Directable Mirrors - A Better Way To Focus The Sun

	 	        http://www.best.com/~sohara