Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 17:52:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      brooks@one-eyed-alien.net
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FAT and OS/2 extended attribute files

I've been having trouble with a file in the root of a FAT file system I'm
mounting on one of my FreeBSD 2.2.8-STABLE (as of a week ago) machines.
When I type ls /winnt I see a file named "EA", but when I do an ls -l
/winnt or try to open the file it's not there.  I've traced the problem to
a file named "EA DATA. SF" which a search of dejanews reports in an OS/2
extended attribute file.  While I think I can get rid of it if I use a DOS
boot disk and mabey an extra utility to unhide it and delete it, it would
be nice if FreeBSD knew about this special case.  The place it's actually
causing trouble is trying to have amanda backup the drive via GNU tar,
which sees the file, but, since it can't open it, fails.

Thanks for your time and for making FreeBSD the great OS it is.

-- Brooks Davis