Date:      Wed, 03 Oct 2012 04:17:57 -0400
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller23@insightbb.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem upgrading misc/help2man: missing language files

from Bas Smeelen <b.smeelen@ose.nl>:

> Below it looks like the creation of the backup package fails, which get's
> deleted by default after the new port is installed.
> I Just update ports on a CURRENT server with csup from cvsup4.nl.FreeBSD.org
> and the help2man version is still 1.40.12
> I will go ahead and update from cvsup9.freebsd.org
> .
> .
> .
> No help2man-1.40.13 yet.
> Maybe csup the portstree again and retry portmaster misc/help2man?

> Did portmaster end with lines like
> Upgrade of help2man-1.40.11 to help2man-1.40.12
> But then help2man-1.40.12 to help2man-1.40.13 instead of the above?
> The it should be OK.

No, I was trying to upgrade from 1.40.12 to 1.40.13 : WRONG!

I used "portsnap fetch update", and I saw the new version 1.40.13 : WRONG!

I checked again, and current version was 1.40.12

Problem might have been a port having misc/help2man as a dependency needed
NLS option to be set?  So I rebuilt with
portmaster -f misc/help2man
and that rebuilt perl-5.16 redundantly.

I am still curious how one rebuilds and reinstalls a corrupted port
installation when backing up would not be desired.  Maybe
portmaster -f <port-in-question> ?

Tom