Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 2002 15:12:11 -0200
From:      Mario Sergio Fujikawa Ferreira <lioux-list@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Akinori MUSHA <knu@FreeBSD.org>, FreeBSD-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   New multimedia category (was Re: cvs commit: doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mirrors chapter.sgml doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook book.sgml)

-- discussion moved to appropriate forum FreeBSD-ports@FreeBSD.org
-- please do not reply sending to other lists

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 11:43:44AM -0500, The Anarcat wrote:

> How does the new multimedia category relate with regards to graphics
> and audio?
>
> Will ports (e.g. mplayer) be moved around to accomodate that
> definition?

	Good question. Perhaps, we should elaborate in the
new definition. It's too vague

- multimedia : Multimedia software

	Multimedia encompasses pictograms, images, video,
audio, ....
	Should we define that if the software is

	- only audio related: audio
	- only graphics related: graphics
	- if port is listed as both audio and graphics: multimedia
	- video (video formats) related: multimedia

	Still too vague, we still need to elaborate.
Here follows a simple example on why this is too vague:

	xmms is clearly an audio category port, right?
However, it does have several plugins that add images to the music;
not to mention, a mpeg video plugin.
	We can still rule that xmms is primarly audio.
Nonetheless, how do we rule the visual plugins?  They are graphics
but they react to the music, a multimedia relationship. Are they
multimedia? Or, audio?
	The mpeg video plugin is clearly multimedia. Or, is
it graphics?
	We should think about before starting a repo copy spree.

--
Mario S F Ferreira - DF - Brazil - "I guess this is a signature."
Computer Science Undergraduate | FreeBSD Committer | CS Developer