Date:      Sat, 18 Aug 2001 17:34:05 -0400
From:      Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@acadia.ne.mediaone.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GUI

On 08/17/01 07:23 PM, Michael Schatte sat at the `puter and typed:

>    I just installed FreeBSD today and I cant find a command for a GUI. Or
>    does it have one?
>
>                    *************************************
>                               Michael Schatte
>
>                         Email: [1]Mike_2006@msn.com
>
>                               ICQ #: 109649688
>
>                            Zone Nick: IcE_MaN980
>
>                    *************************************

You mean the Xserver?  If you installed XFree86, you might try startx
from the console, or edit /etc/ttys and change the xdm setup to turn
it on instead of off (just search for 'xdm' and change 'off' to 'on').
The first solution will simply start X when you want, the latter will
cause X to start automatically.
CAVEAT!!! You *REALLY* want to read some X info before editing your
config by hand.

If you installed X from the cd (or ftp, or whatever) during the
FreeBSD install, your config is in /etc/XF86Config, and you are
running XFree86 3.x.  If you installed X afterward from the ports, you
could be running XFree86 4.x, and your config is in
/etc/X11/XF86Config.  The two configs are not cross compatible, and
the config tools are also different.

To configure XF86 3.x, use /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86Setup.  To configure
XF86 4.x, use /usr/X11R6/bin/xf86config.  You will find docs galore in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/README.*.  READ the ones that might even
remotely apply to your machine!  They have TONS of useful info, and
with a little grepping and groping around, you can get the details
that apply to your machine even quicker.

Woa, dude, your .sig is killing me!  That should be on a bilboard, not
in email :)

HTH
Louis LeBlanc       leblanc@acadia.ne.mediaone.net
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net                 ԿԬ