Date:      Sun, 22 May 2005 10:00:31 -0400
From:      "Alexandre \"Sunny\" Kovalenko" <Alex.Kovalenko@verizon.net>
To:        Emil Mikulic <emil@cs.rmit.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ath0 goes down periodically

On Sun, 2005-05-22 at 21:06 +1000, Emil Mikulic wrote:
> At home I have a FreeBSD 6-CURRENT machine with an ath card acting as an
> access point.  Every once in a while, wireless traffic stops and I have
> to log in to this machine and manually bounce the interface to get it
> going again.
>
> I noticed that when this sort of outage occurs I can't ping from the
> hostap machine on the wifi interface.  It looks like the interface queue
> is full. (?)
>
> It just happened now so here are the diagnostics I can think of:

<SNIP>
> This happens periodically.  I can't reproduce it at will, but it will
> happen again eventually.  Is there anything further I can do to help
> diagnose (and hopefully fix) this problem?
>
> --Emil

Unfortunately, I could not offer you a solution, however, you can get
additional information on what driver thinks card is doing by using
80211debug utility (it lives in /usr/src/tools/tools/ath).

As the side note -- I have been observing similar behavior with my
Atheros card when I have neighboring station with the stronger signal
then one from my own. In my case, 80211debug shows that card goes into
the loop, scanning all channels, it can think of. Bouncing the card
cures it for a while and then it will go back into that mode.

HTH,
--
Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko (Олександр Коваленко)