Date:      Sat, 17 Nov 2001 00:44:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ovanes Manucharyan <ovanes_m@yahoo.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Athlon CPU health..

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:

> Ovanes Manucharyan <ovanes_m@yahoo.com> types:
> > I'd like to know how to capture the current temperature of my CPU.
>
> Check ports/sysutils. There are a couple of tools for monitoring
> hardware - healthd and lmmon come to mind. Chances are pretty good one
> of them will report your CPU temperature. Given the right hardware
> setup, you may be able to catch various voltages and fan speeds as
> well.

Ok, I installed Healthd.. ran it, my system froze. :)

rebooted.. didn't help.. (I finally figgured out that it conveniently
placed a healthd.sh in my /usr/local/etc/rc.d). If anyone can offer
it, I'd like an explanation of why healthd is halting my system.
Also, I understand you can make healthd use SMB? Is there any advantage,
or will my system not freeze if I use SMB?

> > I suspect that its overheating for some reason(I haven't overclocked
> > I'm also looking for suggestions on what else I can do to debug this:
> >         a) verify if its really the CPU overheating
> >         if not, then what's causing the cpu to halt?
>
> Something else overheating? But the chassis fan should help with that.
>
> >         b) how to solve this problem.
>
> If it's the CPU, get a bigger heat sink and fan, and more heat grease.

I thought I had a good fan, but I'll try this.. And if it doens't work
there's always liquid nitrogen right? :) thanks for all the help.. I'll
see if any of these tips help me.

Ovanes