Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2017 19:07:06 +0100
From:      Harry Schmalzbauer <freebsd@omnilan.de>
To:        byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca
Cc:        "James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IPMITool questions:

 Bezüglich James B. Byrne via freebsd-questions's Nachricht vom
11.12.2017 16:54 (localtime):
> I am attempting to establish a serial over LAN console connection to a
> remote SuperMicro SYS-5027R.  I am using this connection command from
> a FreeBSD-11.1p5 host running mate and using mate terminal to initiate
> the connection:
>
> ipmitool -H "$HOST" -U "$UNAME" -I lanplus sol activate
>
> After connecting I am asked for a password.  After accepting the
> password I get this:
>
> [SOL Session operational.  Use ~? for help]
>
> However, the resulting session does not respond to any typing or
> carriage returns.  If I use the escape sequence for help (~?) then I

Hello,

do you want to establish pre-boot sessions via SoL or a login session to
FreeBSD?

For the latter, if you add
boot_multicons="YES"
to /boot/loader.conf, you can leave /etc/ttys as it is (having that
nifty ttyuX status "onifconsole").
Else there is also "boot_serial" and "console="comconsole[,efi]" e.g.
for /boot/loader.conf.

If you really want have login only, edit /etc/ttys to "on" instead of
"onifconsole".

Best,

-harry