Date:      Thu, 29 May 1997 14:39:30 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@utell.co.uk>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, brian@awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: rstartd on freefall

> As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
> > > So rstart is broken by design.  Let me guess.  This has been argued
> > > before, and the xfree86 guys won't allow an absolute path to rstartd
> > > (via say a flag to rstart).... :|
> >
> > I don't recall that it was ever discussed.  I've certainly never heard
> > of anyone actually using it, at least not until just now. :-)
>
> It has recently been discussed on the XFree86 list.
>
> Btw., Brian, you should actually complain at the inventor of your
> shell. :-)  If he had made a provision for a .xxxrc file as all nice
> shells do (csh, tcsh, bash, zsh -- no, no discussions, please :), it
> would be simple for you to extend your $PATH on startup.

Yep.  Simple (I use bash and therefore have .bashrc), but wrong IMO.
You can either reset your PATH or append to your PATH in this file.
Either way, you're going to break something and not realize what's
going on in the future.  I guess something smart like

test ${PATH#~/bin} = $PATH && PATH=~/bin:/bin:...:/usr/X11R6/bin

would work, but I don't think it's correct.

> Mr. Korn decided to invent this crappy idea of $ENV, which has now
[.....]

I agree completely with your opinion of $ENV.  It's horrible !

--
Brian <brian@awfulhak.org> <brian@freebsd.org>
      <http://www.awfulhak.org>;