Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 1995 01:21:32 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Alain Kalker <alain@Wit401402.student.utwente.nl>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>, phk@critter.tfs.com, bde@zeta.org.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, terry@lambert.org
Subject:   Re: Policy on printf format specifiers?

On Mon, 18 Sep 1995, Terry Lambert wrote:

> This is *not* an attempt to support internationalization of kernel messages.
> Though that would be critically cool, it is an unlikely prospect in the
> extreme without additional support for argument positioning qualifiers for
> syntactic reordering of sentences.  And I'm not asking for that (consider

Why couldn't we implement these? Building an internationalized kernel
would only require including specific language support files.

I know the use of them as long ago as a COMAL interpreter on CP/M... It
did use positioning qualifiers and such, but even then, it supported error
messages in several languages...

All right, this sure is not a kernel, but I think the messages a kernel
would use are not that diverse, compared to the expressive capabilities of
an entire language :-)

---
Alain