Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 08:20:10 +0100 (MET)
From:      Zahemszky Gabor <zgabor@CoDe.hu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (FreeBSD questions)
Cc:        cmchow@se.cuhk.edu.hk
Subject:   Re: Sony CDU31a not recognised

Hi!

> Got the Walnut Creek FreeBSD 2.1.6 twin CD set and tried to install on
> my 486-120, 16M ram, PCI machine with a Sony CDU31a CDROM drive
> attached to a sound blaster 16 card.  I booted from DOS to the
> installation menu, chose novice install.  I chose CDROM when the
> installation asked me to select a media.  It then said CDROM not found
> or some such.

Well, I've got a CDU33A (it's the double-speed big-brother of 31a), and
it's connected to a SB-Vibra 16 card.  I've installed 2.1.0 and 2.1.5 from
it.  So I think, some settings are wrong with your card, or maybe the 2.1.6
has some new uncompatible features.
a) Did you put the CD into the drive before booting?
b) Try to download the 2.1.5's boot floppy from ftp.freebsd.org.  If it
works -> 2.1.6 <-> 2.1.5  (I don't think so, I think nobody works with the
scd driver.)

> Are there docs/faqs comparing linux and freebsd?

Try searching the old letters from this list, and there was an USENIX
conference paper, describing Linux, FreeBSD and Solaris.  (Well, it's rather
old, there are Linux 1.*, FreeBSD 2.0.5, and Solaris
Idontknowbutratheroldversion in it.)

Gabor