Date:      Thu, 7 Sep 1995 23:20:27 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: higher density diskettes

As Christoph P. Kukulies wrote:

> Microsoft has switched to using so called DMF format
> (Distribution Media Format - 1,716,224 bytes 1.63 MB) on
> diskettes for the WIN95 distrubution disks.

Also for the boot floppy?  I suppose not.  There has been an article
in the c't magazine lately (about 3 or 4 months ago) discussing OS/2's
installation floppy layout, and comparing it against another scheme.

The idea of all those formats is, unlike our tweaked and squeezed 1720
KB format, to increase the physical sector size and format a track
with sectors of non-uniform sizes.  Look into that c't, Christoph.

Needless to say, you cannot boot off such a disk, since it's not
supported by any BIOS.  Neither can you dd this on another Unix box.
Makes it rather worthless for us.

I still wouldn't trust a `squeezed' floppy.  I've seen enough dead
3.5in floppies with standard formats to like stressing those beasts
too much.

> blues# mount -t msdos /dev/fd0.1720 /mnt
> mountmsdosfs(): root directory is not a multiple of the clustersize in length

This is a warning.  Don't care.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/