Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 1996 09:03:03 -0500
From:      "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Last of the ioctl questions...

Ok. Almost think I got it. Just a couple of more questions.

1.) The two calls - TIOCSTI and TIOCCONS. I can get TIOCSTI to work
when I'm root. Is it possible to make it work for a non-root user
who has the port open? With TIOCCONS, I've yet been able to make it work, even
as root. What conditions must be met for a program to be able to redirect console
output?

2.) When opening a tty device for outbound communications (ie - local
host is initiating the communication), I call open with
O_RDWR | O_NONBLOCK. For inbound, I open it with just O_RDWR. I then
call a TIOCEXCL ioctl to "lock" the port so that no one else can
open it. I then call TIOCNXCL before the close() to free it. Is
this the correct method, or is there a "more correct" method for locking
the device.

	Thanks, as always,
		Brian