Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 2003 11:37:08 -0500
From:      dmmcf@uiuc.edu (D. Michael McFarland)
To:        Greg Pavelcak <g.pavelcak@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: General Wireless Network Question

Greg Pavelcak <g.pavelcak@comcast.net> writes:

> In the wireless world, I don't understand an access point. Right
> now, we have Comcast cable internet, a 4 port router, and a few
> computers all wired, and all with access to the internet. Am I right
> in thinking that I can just replace the current router with a
> wireless router, get some wireless network cards, and get the same
> results?

An easy way to start might be to add an access point to your existing
LAN.  You can take your time to get it working with one client, then
decide if it's worth the expense and effort to go entirely wireless.
I've just set up a WAP in my office and got my notebook talking to
it.  It wasn't a very gratifying experience, but maybe I'll feel
better if it continues to work for a while.

> (I'm thinking D-Link because I read in FreeBSD mail
> archives that they use supported chips.)

My WAP is a D-Link DWL-2000AP, an 11g device which I picked up for
US$74 after a $20 rebate.  I'm very disappointed with it because:

1. Configuration is done through a web interface, and the _only_
   browser I've been able to make work with this is MS's Internet
   Explorer (and believe me, I tried a bunch of 'em).  The interface
   seems to use JavaScript in a way only IE will tolerate, with the
   result that configuration changes can't be saved from other
   browsers.  (A friend with an older D-Link WAP (different model,
   too) reports no such troubles.)

2. This WAP will run a DHCP server for wireless clients, but (as far
   as I can tell) it won't distribute addresses from any range except
   a range including its own IP number.  This might not matter on a
   home network where every box is on an unrouted IP, but here my
   desktop machines and the WAP itself have fixed, routed addresses.
   This effectively renders the WAP's DHCP server useless for me.  (In
   contrast, the Apple AirPort hub I used to have would happily sit on
   the net at a fixed, routed IP number and distribute addresses from,
   for example, 10.0.1.x.)

The Cisco PCM352 (11b) card I bought for the notebook, on the other
hand, is a class act.  It cost more than the D-Link WAP, but it was
worth it.  If I had it to do over again, I'd look to Cisco for the
WAP, also.

If you _do_ decide to go with the D-Link WAP, though, make me an
offer. :-)

Michael

--
    D. Michael McFarland, Visiting Senior Research Scientist
    Department of Aerospace Engineering