Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 19:03:27 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
To:        Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail/majordomo (fwd)

> I got a problem that I think is sendmail doing me.
>
> I use majordomo for mailing lists, and if a user has odd chars in the real
> name portion of their from: address - such as accented letters, majordomo
> will mis-send it out, and the original headers get replacement chars -
> like   for a space.
>
> Is this a sendmail thing? Replacing the chars with the =ascii code?

I don't know which part of your mail setup that does this - probably
sendmail - but the characters are called Quoted Printable characters,
and that is a part of the MIME standard.  If you've got something that
do MIME, that is probably responsible for this - you'll have to set it
8-bit transparent to stop the conversion.  Mail User Agents (your
basic mail-reading program) should convert this back, making it
invisible to you - but obviously they're not doing a good enough job
of it.

Eivind.