Date:      Sun, 27 Aug 1995 16:12:24 -0400
From:      dennis@et.htp.com (dennis)
To:        John Capo <jc@irbs.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, gated-alpha@cornell.edu
Subject:   Re: alias ( secondary IP ) for Ethernet Ifaces in FreeBSD

>dennis writes:
>>
>> John Capo writes..

>> >Try ifconfig ed0 alias 204.141.95.2 netmask 0xffffffff
>> >

>> This still doesn't work. When I do it, I can ping the primary address but
>> not the secondary. If I try to ping the secondary address the machine sends
>> an ARP.
>>
>> What should the route look like (in netstat/ifconfig) if it works?
>>

>Strange...  I aliased one of my systems to 204.141.95.2 and everything
>looks OK.

[info listings deleted]

AHA! It seems that it works ok when I run routed, but not with gated..I'm
running gated with rip only on this machine.

If I do the alias when running gated  I get the wrong entry in my routing
table (a link# entry as the gateway). This implies that gated is adding the
entry when it does its "interface scan" and not getting the information that
it expects, or that it doesn't support aliasing.

Is anyone using alias addressing in Freebsd and gated successfully?

Dennis