Date:      Wed, 07 Jan 1998 08:21:11 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        daniel_sobral@voga.com.br
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Device Driver

> The card I'm writing a device for is a cryptography card. It will be using
> by networking code (not mine) directly in kernel. So, the device will be
> accessed most of the time from other parts of the kernel.

I guess, again, it depends on how you plan to use the card, and how the
card has to be talked to.

Will you be using it to perform end-to-end encryption on sockets?  How
about encrypting the entire contents of ethernet datagrams?  Is the
output of the card complete in itself, or does it encrypt streams of
data?

> Now, I understand cdevsw and bdevsw provide a standard interface between
> the device and userland processes, but is there any kind of standard
> interface for use by other routines in-kernel?

Again, that depends on how you talk to it.  Sometimes you will use the
standard device entries (if you plan to use those semantics from
elsewhere in the kernel), and sometimes you need other interfaces.

"More input?"

\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\