Date:      Mon, 14 Jul 1997 22:46:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        FIBER2 Guy Yaniv 5302 <guy.yanivg@telrad.co.il>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Help needed installing FreeBSD

On Tue, 15 Jul 1997, FIBER2 Guy Yaniv 5302 wrote:

> THIS MESSAGE IS ADDRESSED TO SOMEONE WHO CAN HELP WITH FREEBSD
> INSTALLATION !!!

here.

> The problem is, that I have an old i486 CPU on 486 VLB motherboard and a
> 2.1GB hard drive.

No problem!  I've got a 486/25sx running as our web/ftp/whatever server
for ResNet and it rocks right along. :)

> Whenever I try to install the FreeBSD (I do it with novice install as I
> am not an expert, yet), it seems that everything  is going quite OK and
> at the end the system reboots itself.
>
> After reboot the system is halted and this is the message I get:
>
> Boot:
> dosdev=80, biosdrive=0, unit=0, maj=0
> Error:C:1027 > 1023 (BIOS limit)

Okay, your problem is that you've installed your kernel over the 1024
cylinder BIOS limit.  Many older PC BIOSs can't boot anything that exceeds
1024 cylinders, approxmiately 500mb.  The entire root partition must land
within this 500mb limit.  After that, things can be anywhere.

There are a few ways to rememdy this:

1.  Move your FreeBSD slice forward in the drive.  If you have DOS on this
disk, make an extended partition at the end of the disk and put your data
there, since you won't need to be booting that.  Make a small primary
partition to hold the OS.  Put your FreeBSD slice in the middle and you
should be okay.

2.  If you can figure out how to do it, you can make two FreeBSD slices,
one below the limit which holds root and the rest which holds the rest of
the system data.  This requires some manual tweaking and I'm not sure how
to do it using sysinstall.

> So, I've re-partitioned the drive to several 480MB slices, but still it
> doesn't help.

If I could see a map of your drive, I could get a better idea of how far
you're off.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo